Marriage Visitor Visa
You must apply for a Marriage Visitor visa if:
- you want to get married or register a civil partnership in the UK
- you want to give notice of a marriage or civil partnership in UK
- you’re not planning to stay or settle in the UK after your marriage or civil partnership
- you meet the other eligibility requirements
You don’t need a Marriage Visitor visa to convert your civil partnership into a marriage - you can apply for a Standard Visitor visa.
You can’t apply if you qualify for British citizenship - including if you can have dual nationality. You must apply for British citizenship instead.
How long it takes to get a visa
The earliest you can apply is 3 months before you travel. You should get a decision on your visa within 3 weeks.
It costs £87 to apply.
How long you can stay
You can use this visa to visit the UK for up to 6 months.
What you can and can’t do
You can use this visa to marry or enter into a civil partnership in the UK:
- within 6 months of your arrival
- in any location licensed for this purpose
- get public funds
- bring in family members (‘dependants’) - they must apply separately
- live in the UK for extended periods through frequent visits
- extend your visa or switch to another visa
- work - except for permitted activities related to your work or business overseas, eg attending meetings
- study for more than 30 days - studying can’t be the main reason for your visit
You must prove that you’re:
- 18 or over;
- free to give notice of marriage, to marry or enter into a civil partnership in the UK within 6 months of your arrival;
- in a genuine relationship;
- visiting the UK for less than 6 months;
- leaving the UK at the end of your visit;
- able to support yourself without working or help from public funds, or that you can be supported and housed by relatives or friends;
- able to meet the cost of the return or onward journey;
- not in transit to a country outside the UK, Ireland, Isle of Man and the Channel Islands.