Parent of a Tier 4 child visa
You can apply for a Parent of Tier 4 child visa if:
- your child attends an independent fee-paying day school in the UK
- you’re from outside the European Economic Area (EEA) and Switzerland
- you meet the other eligibility requirements
How long it will take
You can apply for a visa up to 3 months before your date of travel to the UK. You should get a decision on your visa within 3 weeks.
A Parent of a Tier 4 child visa costs £405.
How long you can stay
This visa usually lasts for either 6 or 12 months. After that, you can get extensions for 12 months at a time until your child reaches 12 years of age.
You’ll be given a shorter visa and won’t be able to extend that visa if your child is going to:
- have their 12th birthday in the next 12 months
- finish their final year at school in the next 12 months
You must leave the UK when your visa expires in either case, and can’t switch to a different visa category. If your child is staying in education in the UK without you, you must make arrangements for their ongoing care.
What you can and can’t do
- extend your visa for 12 months at a time, as long as you continue to meet the eligibility requirements
- switch into a different immigration category from a ‘Parent of a Tier 4 child visa’ when it expires
- get public funds
- make your main home in the UK
- take paid work
- bring other family members (‘dependants’) with you on your application - they must apply separately
To be eligible for a Parent of a Tier 4 child visa you must:
- have enough money to support yourself and any dependants while in the UK
- maintain a second home outside the UK
- plan to leave the UK at the end of your visit
- be able to meet the cost of the return or onward journey
Your child must:
- be under 12
- be studying at or about to start studying at an independent fee-paying day school in the UK
- have a Tier 4 (Child) visa or be in the category ‘students in the UK under the immigration rules in place before 31 March 2009’