Tier 1 Entrepreneur Visa
You can apply for a Tier 1 (Entrepreneur) visa if:
- you want to set up or run a business in the UK
- you’re from outside the European Economic Area (EEA) and Switzerland
- you meet the other eligibility requirements
You must have access to at least £50,000 investment funds to apply.
How long it takes to get a visa
The earliest you can apply is 3 months before you travel and you should get a decision on your visa within 3 weeks.
How much you pay for a Tier 1 (Entrepreneur) visa depends on your situation, where you are and how you apply. You’ll also have to pay the healthcare surcharge as part of your application. Check how much you’ll have to pay before you apply.
How long you can stay
You can come to the UK with a Tier 1 (Entrepreneur) visa for a maximum of 3 years and 4 months.
You can apply to extend this visa for another 2 years if you’re already in this category and 3 years if you’re switching to it from another category.
You may be able to apply for settlement (known as ‘indefinite leave to remain’) once you’ve been in the UK for 5 years.
What you can and can’t do
- set up or take over the running of one business or more
- work for your business, including being self-employed, but you should check your work meets the conditions of being self-employed
- bring family members with you
- do any work outside your business, eg work where you’re employed by another business
- get public funds
You must have access to at least £50,000 investment funds to apply for a Tier 1 (Entrepreneur) visa.
Your funds must be:
- held in one or more regulated financial institutions
- free to spend (‘disposable’) on business in the UK
There are different eligibility requirements depending on whether you have access to £50,000 or to £200,000.
You must also:
- meet the English language requirement
- be able to support yourself during your stay
- score 95 points - check your points score
- be at least 16 years old
Read more about the points-based system in the full guidance on the Tier 1 (Entrepreneur) visa.
Sharing investment funds
You can form an ‘entrepreneurial team’ with one other Tier 1 (Entrepreneur) applicant and share the same investment funds.
You and your team member must meet all the application requirements and:
- not use the same funds on another application with a different entrepreneurial team
- provide all the documents needed for evidence of the funds with your own applications