Tier 1 Investor Visa
You can apply for a Tier 1 (Investor) visa if:
- you want to invest £2,000,000 or more in the UK
- you’re from outside the European Economic Area (EEA) and Switzerland
- you meet the other eligibility requirements
You must have access to at least £2,000,000 in investment funds to apply.
How long it will take
The earliest you can apply is 3 months before you travel and you should get a decision on your visa within 3 weeks. Check the guide processing times to find out how long getting a visa might take in your country.
How much you pay for a Tier 1 (Investor) visa depends on your situation, where you are and how you apply.
How long you can stay
You can come to the UK with a Tier 1 (Investor) visa for a maximum of 3 years and 4 months.
You can apply to extend this visa for another 2 years.
What you can and can’t do
- invest £2,000,000 or more in UK government bonds, share capital or loan capital in active and trading UK registered companies
- work or study
- apply to settle after 2 years if you invest £10 million
- apply to settle after 3 years if you invest £5 million
- invest in companies mainly engaged in property investment, property management or property development
- work as a professional sportsperson or sports coach
- get public funds
You also can’t work as a doctor or dentist in training unless one of the following applies:
- you have a primary degree at bachelors level or above in medicine or dentistry from a UK institution that holds a Tier 4 sponsor license or is a UK recognised or listed body
- you worked as a doctor or dentist in training the last time you were in the UK
- neither of those conditions were part of the terms and conditions on a previous visa
You must have at least £2,000,000 investment funds to apply for a Tier 1 (Investor) visa.
- be 18 or over to apply for this visa
- be able to prove that the money belongs to either you or your husband, wife, unmarried or same-sex partner
- have opened a UK bank account
Your funds must be:
- held in one or more regulated financial institutions
- free to spend (‘disposable’) in the UK
Your money can be in the UK or overseas when you apply.
Students with financial sponsorship
You may be able to apply for a Tier 1 (Investor) visa if you’re already in the UK and you’re:
- a Tier 4 (General) visa holder
- a student nurse
- studying, writing up a thesis or re-sitting an exam
- a postgraduate doctor or dentist
- an overseas qualified nurse or midwife
- a student sabbatical officer
You must have unconditional agreement in writing from your financial sponsor to re-enter or stay in the UK if your course fees and living costs were paid by either:
- a government
- an international scholarship agency