Indefinite leave to remain (ILR) or settlement by investment gives you the right to permanent residence in the UK. Permanent resident status is necessary to qualify for a British passport as applicants must be settled in the UK in order to obtain Naturalisation as a British Citizen.
After 5 years holding Tier 1 (Investor) visa, unless you have accelerated the settlement, you will be eligible to apply for permanent residency also known as Indefinite Leave to Remain (ILR).
As part of our Indefinite Leave to Remain (Tier 1 Investor) service, we will prepare your application for submission to the Home Office and guide you through the whole process. Our dedicated Immigration lawyers have an established reputation for providing expert, effective and efficient management and processing of Tier 1 visa extensions and applications and advice for UK settlement options.
- You currently hold a Tier 1 (Investor) visa
- You have been living in the UK for 2, 3 or 5 years and have spent no more than 180 days outside the UK in any 12 months
- You will need to pass the Life in the UK Test
- You will need to demonstrate sufficient knowledge of the English language and pass an approved English language test at B1 of the Common European Framework of Reference for Languages (unless you are aged 65 or over)
- Your partner and children under 18 can apply under your application if they’re eligible
- You have invested no less than £2 million of your capital into the UK by way of qualified investments permitted under the rules
You can apply for Indefinite Leave to Remain when:
- You have resided in the UK for 2 years and invest £10 million
- You have resided in the UK for 3 years and invest £5 million
- You have resided in the UK for 4 years and invest £2 million
Recent Changes to requirements for further leave to remain and settlement as a Tier 1 Investor
As of 29 March 2019 the following changes to the requirements for an extension of stay and settlement as a Tier 1 Investor being introduced:
- Investment in UK government bonds are no longer permitted
- Intermediary vehicles need to be regulated by the FCA and, where an intermediary vehicle is used, evidence must be provided of the final investment destination and method of funds transfer
- The definition of ‘active and trading’ companies is stronger and requires more robust evidence to provide proof of regular trading in the UK
- The ‘price of investments’ is the price the applicant paid for the investments, not the face value
Option to invest in pooled investments which also receive funding from a UK or devolved government department or one of its agencies.
If you spend more than 2 years outside of the UK, your settled status will lapse. In the case that your ILR lapses, in order to return to the UK, you may need to apply for a Returning Resident visa.
You will receive a decision on whether your application has been successful within 6 months, or less if you utilise one of the Home Office’s premium services.